Thursday, July 17, 2008

America's Beer Falls Victim to the Global Economy

I guess most of you have heard the big news in business this week, Anheuser-Busch has been purchased by InBev, a Belgium beer giant. Yep, America's #1 beer, Budweiser, is now owned by a foreign brewery. On hearing the news I must say I was pissed. Why hasn't President Bush and Congress stepped up to stop this non-sense? Foreigners brewing our Budweiser is worse than when the company which managed all of our ports was going to be sold to terrorist. I was going to show their butts and stop drinking my Bud Lites and those new BL Limes my brother in law just got me hooked on. I wasn't sure whether I would switch to Coors or Miller, but one thing I knew was that the Mockler family could kiss their revenues of my 12 pack every few weeks good-bye. I am also in a dilemma as whether or not to delete the 80 versions of Bud Lite's Real Men of Genius radio ads on my Ipod.

Then I did some research. I found out Budweiser was just another beer until they got into aggressive marketing. In the old days they would pay for a bar's liquor license if they sold Budweiser on tap. In the 1950's, they were the first to market their product by sponsoring prime time shows like the Jackie Gleason Show. They even payed Frank Sinatra $750,000 to sponsor his TV show. Then beginning in the 70's, they aggressively entered the sports arena's. That is said to have taken them to the top.

According to an article on Salon.com by Edward McClellend, Budweiser originally was not that good of a beer when compared to others.
"Adolphus Busch, the dynasty's founder, called his beer 'dot schlop' and drank wine instead. During taste tests, St. Louis drinkers spat it back over the bar. But if the Busches didn't believe in their product, they believed in their business plan."
This aggressive marketing put a number of small American beer companies out of business or if they were lucky forced them to sell to Budweiser or rivals Miller and Coors.

Maybe I should not be so upset. I must have become caught up in the marketing as I grew older because I recall it was Miller Pony's and Schlitz Malt Liquor that got through the stress of 11th grade math. Also, I just realized I now mostly drink imported red wine. I prefer Chianti (Italian) Crianza (Spanish) red and if I am broke, Yellow Tail (Australian). I reallly don't care that much for American wines.

Furthermore, I wrote a version of Real Men of Genius, but Budweiser did not accept it. Now I really don't care about the sale of America's beer.

PS - If I can dig up a copy of Mr. Bikini Wax Technician, I will post it so you can decide if it should have been turned into a radio spot. Perhaps I should resubmit it to InBev.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You misspelled Global.

Mike Ginn said...

Thanks. Thinks He's Wise was too tired to edit this.